Playin around in the studio yesterday...

Well I was in the studio all day yesterday, which is rare (I usually have to be at home at least half the day with the kiddos)  And of course (because it is my luck) I haven't bought any bolts of fabric for a summer collection.  Speaking of...I'm thinking maybe I should just skip the whole summer thing anyway because its getting so late and go ahead and order fall/winter fabric and get started on that.  ??????  Actually, I think I've said that for the past couple of seasons!  SLACKER!  Anyway, back to my day in the studio.  First I actually cleaned and organized everything (AMAZING) and because I had no new fabric I thought maybe I should actually get back to projects I started and then never finished.  Happens all the time!  Is it just me?  I think its the creative mind.  You think of something great and you start but before you can even finish you've got another great idea!  But before you lose the second great idea you start it and think that you can do two projects at once.  HA!  Will we ever learn???

Anyway, one of the things that got started and never finished was a reversable apron.  The material was all cut out and just waiting to be sewn so I started.  Got ready to sew the ties onto the sides and realized I only had one tie and needed four.  My thought is that these pieces were cut so long ago that I have now lost the other three.  Usually not a problem but I have no more of the fabric! :(  Will try to look around at Hobby Lobby, Hancocks or JoAnns to see if I can find more.  But here it is in the making....I was sewing on the pockets for one side.  On the other side the main fabric will be the fun swirls and the pockets will be the stripes.  So cute!  Will post pictures whenever I finish this (could be awhile)! 



Now what????  Looked around and found this piece of fabric.  Okay, so I have no idea where I got this fabric but I love it - I think because its light pink and flowery and delicate but not baby-ish.  My guess is it came from a trip up to Sirs Fabrics.  Always fun by the way!!   I knew I wanted to do some kind of sundress for Lauren but wasn't sure what.  At first I was thinking shirred at the top and then ties at the shoulder - kind of dainty.  But then figured she probably has enough of those styles, so onto coming up with a new design!  Lighting wasn't great here...

 Still wanted to the top to be shirred and then decided I wanted small straps over the shoulder to be shirred as well.  I took some guesstimates (yes thats a word) on how long to make the straps and used an old shirt pattern that I had and modified it to a dress and here it is in the shirring process! :)  Again, wierd lighting for the picture but you get the point!













All said and done here is is on one of my babies as I call them.  



 And here is it on my real baby! :)




Overall I was pretty happy with the way it turned out BUT I already know of changes that I am going to make to the next one! :)  Designs are always a work in progress!  The main one is that the straps need to be longer so it doesn't come so high up on the neck.  Probably add 2 inches and see how it comes out.

A project completed!  Now on to the next......

2 comments:

  • Aimee | March 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM

    Love it Lisa!

    I don't sew and that looks complicated...ever think of doing more a tutorial on techniques (not necessarily what you are making but just techniques?)?

  • Lisa Davis | March 26, 2011 at 8:11 AM

    Yeah, I've already thought about it. Not sure what (or when) I'll start that! Maybe the next design that I sew I'll take pictures in stages and do a tutorial.

Post a Comment